Friday, November 25, 2022

Critical Reflection

Module Learning: 


At the start of the critical communications module, I set a goal on improving my writing skills and on how to be a more confident and eloquent speaker. 


I started to see great progress in my writing ability, as I learned about the Paul-Elder critical thinking framework. I applied the Paul-Elder critical thinking framework on assignments such as the summary reader response, which allowed me to figure out what are the main points to be written in a summary and explain those points through research and reasoning. Through the summary reader response assignment, I was also taught on how to effectively research on search engines such as google, google scholar and SIT one search using search techniques such as “AND” or “OR” operators in our searches. Using these techniques really benefitted me as my searches in the search engines were more specific to the research articles I was looking for, which was highly informative and a new learning experience for me. Through this assignment I was also able to learn the importance of citing our sources and how important it is not to plagiarize someone else’s work. There are different ways to cite sources, but I was taught to use the APA style of citing sources. Before the writing assessment was tasked, the briefing of common errors in writing such as parallel structures, run-on sentences and comma splices, which helped me to avoid these mistakes in my summary and help me refine my writing skills. 


Subsequently, my communication skills have also improved due to the frequent reading of the slides in class and the frequent discussions held in class amongst our peers. This resulted in me improving my pronunciation and articulation of words, thus making me a more confident speaker who can convey his ideas and thoughts to others with ease. 

  

Project Learning: 


The group project assignment of drafting a technical report seemed like a daunting task at once, as my teammates and I must come up with a product and its proposed solutions. Furthermore, we also had to give a presentation on our product and its modifications to the class. I was baffled when I saw the word limit of the technical report, but our professor assured us that we would bypass the word limit. Nevertheless, my teammates and I started to brainstorm for ideas about various robotic devices. Initially, all of us had to come up with an idea for choosing a product. Subsequently, after having multiple discussions amongst us we settled down with the product by Amazon prime, which features its latest drone called MK-27. 

  

Having our product being finalized, my teammates and I split the workload amongst ourselves. I took on the role of researching the drone’s features and technical aspects. I not only researched about amazon’s drone but also its competitors in the market and documented everything. I was able to find the relevant details and facts needed for my research efficiently by applying the search techniques I learned when doing my summary reader response.  

  

Once our documentation of our technical report was done, we started preparing for our presentations. Initially I thought the presentation would be easier than drafting a technical report, but I was wrong. During the mock presentations, I forgot some of the facts and details I wanted to convey to the other teams who were there as an audience. Due to their feedback and constructive criticism, I was able improve those mistakes such as my hand gestures and my eye contact. Due to this feedback from the other teams, I was able improve on those mistakes and deliver a much better presentation during the final presentation. 


Finally, I would like to thank my team for being wonderful teammates. If it wasn’t for their organizational skills and support, I wouldn’t have been able to do the technical report and the presentation. This made me realize the importance of working in a team with all of us focused on the same goal.  


I would also like to thank Professor Bradstone for teaching this module, as your teachings have improved my written and communication skills. This module was incredibly fun and engaging thanks to you professor. I hope you continue to teach more students and inspire them to have better written and communication skills with your teachings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Summary Reader Response Draft 4

  The webpage “DTG3 ROV” from Deep Trekker (n.d . ) introduces its underwater ROV (Remotely Operated Vehicles) “that observes the depths of ...